Friday, September 16, 2005

Thoughts on..."El Crimen del Padre Amaro"

Ok, so apparently motivation is not a strong point of mine this semester. I try and try to get myself in gear, only to give in to the eventual temptation to do something other than study-ususally that something being nothing at all. Last night, that temptation took the form of watching the recently-arrived Netflix movie "The Crime of Padre Amaro". The original plan was to study some economics while the movie played in the background, but I rapidly realized that this movie is way too good to be anything other than front and center.

"Padre Amaro" is an adaptation of an old Portuguese work, the topics of which, however, apply perfectly to the modern-day rural Mexican pueblo. Gael Garcia Bernal plays Amaro, an innocent, freshly minted priest recently arrived to the diosis. There, he finds a Church in the midst of both social and religious confusion. The priest who is to be Amaro's sort of mentor, Padre Benito, is in the pocket of the drug traffikers, while at the same time, he maintains a sexual relationship with a woman in his own congregation (la Sanjuanera). Amaro is initially shocked by this behavior, but he does nothing. However, when the journalist boyfriend of the daughter of la Sanjuanera (Amelia) uncovers Padre Benito's dirty dealings with the "narcos", it is Amaro who is assigned by the Bishop to clean up the situation. Despite the weighings on his conscience, Amaro completes his task perfectly, attempting to calm himself with the delusion that he is doing the "will of God".

Amaro's coverup of the situation is only the beginning of his inevitable moral decline. He suffers, then succombs to, sexual temptation just as his priest mentor, Padre Benito, did. Amaro struggles to keep the truth secret, despite his charge as a priest to be the messenger of the the way of the Truth and the Light. He is transformed from a holy man with high hopes to a hypocrite of the most unholy fashion.

This summary does almost no justice to this complex, inherently controversial film. There are many Catholics who complained after the release of this movie that it represents a direct affront to the Church. I, however, disagree. For some Americans, (at least until the child abuse scandals), even the suggestion that there could be this kind of corruption inside the Catholic Church was blasphemous. This topic, however, is nothing new to many, even pious, Latin American Catholics, who are more accustomed to the sorts of problems brought up in this movie being commonplace. There is a whole other subplot that deals with a priest who is accused of assisting the guerrilla movement-this topic would ring very familiar in the minds of many Latin Americans.

Overall, I think that this movie has less to do about who its main characters are (priests), than the struggle of the human heart to resist the temptations of lust, power, and greed. This struggle is only amplified by the fact that priests are supposedly held to a higher standard than the rest of us. Director Carlos Carrera does a good job at not allowing the movie to degenerate into a simple morality tale, although some viewers may find the ending a bit predictable. This movie has been on my mind constantly ever since I saw it last night, and for its torturing of my conscience, I give it four stars. Probably the best movie I have seen all year other than "Eternal Sunshine."

And it appears that "Padre Amaro" has once again tempted me away from doing work...oh well, I'm off to download some Gael Garcia Bernal wallpaper for my computer...

15 Comments:

At 4:37 PM , Blogger Brad said...

McAnall, rebuttal?

 
At 12:35 PM , Blogger Chris said...

I don't know anything about the movie, but I don't see why it'd be anti-Catholic either. To be honest, it sounds kind of interesting to me. If it's really as psychological and close to the human heart as Michelle says, than it's my kind of film. I really appreciate films that deal with that kind of inner struggle, for they often challenge the audience to more self-reflection upon their own lives. Also, if this is based upon a true story, then it deeply saddens me. Michelle, when was it made?

I guess I'm not sure what there is to rebut.

So I guess I'll rebut the call for me to rebut (if that makes any sense), by laying out my real views on these kinds of issues...

Frankly, the Catholics that try to deny abuse scandals really irk me. There are many faithful Catholics though, who were actually making noise about the abuse problems even before the non-Catholics and media groups got involved.

Obviously, I'm outraged anytime a priest commits sexual abuse with a minor, and I think they should be tried just like anybody else. And of course, I'm also peeved by the fact that many priests or bishops have tried to cover up the problem for so many years.

But other things that also irk me about the priest scandals are when people don't admit all of the facts. For example, ommitting the distinction between pedophilia and ephebophilia. Also, ignoring the fact that the far majority of these sex-abuse cases involve homosexual activity--in my opinion, the homosexual nature of this scandal has been hugely downplayed. I also don't like how people ignore the fact that the numbers for abuse are strikingly similar for celibate clergy in Catholicism and non-celibate clergy/leaders in other religious groups in America--so much for the practice of celibacy being the real problem. Lastly, it's frustrating when the Catholic Church gets all of the attention and people ignore the fact that even secular researchers have estimated the Catholic priest abuses to likely be significantly lower than the number of similar adult/child and adult/teen abuse cases in the general population.

Yes, this is a huge problem, but not just in the Catholic Church, and while I'm thankful and glad that many--Catholic and non-Catholic--are holding the Church responsible (perhaps they recognize the high moral standards that the Church tries to uphold in her teaching), still, I seriously hope they don't ignore the fact that the problem is probably more widespread elsewhere.

 
At 4:36 AM , Blogger Brad said...

a well-written response Chris. Kudos for that.

 
At 9:24 AM , Blogger Chris said...

Thanks Brad, and thanks for fowarding me the soccer news email too, though I must confess I haven't gotten around to reading through it yet.

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger Failoz said...

Padre, Isn't that German for mother?


-failor

 
At 2:09 AM , Blogger Brad said...

Chris,

You're welcome. We have had some major server issues at work with it taking almost a week to send out our weekly newsletter. So you'll notice that although you probably just got it, the date on it is last Wednesday because that's when we started sending it out. I've had you added to the list so whenever we send something out from our department, you'll get it.

 
At 3:27 PM , Blogger steven said...

For example, ommitting the distinction between pedophilia and ephebophilia.

Chris, this is why you are one of a kind.

 
At 7:55 AM , Blogger Chris said...

Actually, I hesitated to put that in there. It's the least of my concerns out of all my rantings, since most people don't even know there is a distinction and just assume pedophilia applies to any adult who wants to have relations with a minor (whatever the age).

 
At 3:57 PM , Blogger Brad said...

am I an idiot if I've never even heard of the second word?

Also, am I lazy if I didn't even bother to look up what the second word meant online?

 
At 5:30 PM , Blogger steven said...

don't feel bad, bradley. that second word isn't even in the dictionary.

 
At 2:18 AM , Blogger Brad said...

care to enlighten?

 
At 9:39 AM , Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, that's interesting...it's not on dictionary.com (haven't had a chance to check my home dictionary yet).

Here's what the encyclopedia says:

Ephebophilia, from the Greek έφηβος (ephebos) "adolescent" and φιλία (philia) "love/friendship", is a sexual preference or orientation in which an adult is primarily or exclusively sexually attracted to adolescents.

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Ephebophilia

Pedophilia (American English) or pædophilia/paedophilia (British English), from the Greek παιδοφιλια (paidophilia) < παις (pais) "boy, child" and φιλια (philia) "friendship", (ICD-10 F65.4) is the condition of people (either adult or adolescent) whose primary sexual attraction is toward prepubescent children.

In the United States and some other countries, the term is also sometimes used (incorrectly) to describe people attracted to adolescents, and usually reflects the age at which a minor becomes an adult legally — especially in regards to sexual activies. In cultures or countries where love relationships or dates between adults and adolescents are socially or legally accepted (at least with parental consent) or are viewed with tolerance, such as France or Brazil, the word pedophilia is almost never used in this sense, either formally or informally.

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Pedophilia

 
At 9:41 AM , Blogger Chris said...

And I guess there's also ephebiphobia, the irrational fear of teenagers or adolescence.

 
At 9:45 AM , Blogger Chris said...

And no, I'm not saying that an ephebophilia type relationship between a priest and an adolescent is okay--that is grossly immoral.

 
At 5:27 PM , Blogger Brad said...

thank you Chris. Gold star for you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home